Saturday, April 21, 2007

Then What?

Do you find yourself wondering about the future? about the time that you are established in your career, raising a family, living "the life"? I know that for some of you it seems far away, but have no fear, its just around the corner. Then what? whats next? do we end up looking for other challenges? Or do we just fall in the cycle of life, raise kids, worry about kids, watch our kids do what we did to our parents then grow old, weak and die. Is that it? when we do get there do we even have the time to wonder out loud "then what?"

I don't know. Its a perplexing question or thought. Is life just a race to the end? it seems like it, doesn't it. The only thing that seems to remain after we die is the wealth of knowledge that we as human beings keep accumulating and leaving for the next generation. There is a saying in Persian that:

The person who found immortality was the one that found humanity,
in humanity will the name stay alive to reach immortality


We can get spiritual on this as well, although it would take a lot of time to fully exploit this side of the question. I am Persian so forgive me for continuously drawing on my Persian heritage. Rumi, one of the greatest Persian poets liked to teach people about life by using common, popular historical figures. He once wrote a poem about a conversation between Moses and God, regarding life:

Moses asked God, why did you give us life? why make us work so hard towards life then let us grow old and die? what is the point in ending life as such? God answers: Moses that is a good question but because you need to truly understand the answer to teach it, do this for me, go plant and grow corn, then I shall give you the answer. Moses grows a whole field of corn, nurtures them, keeps them healthy and clean, finally when they had fully rippened he took a knife and began cutting them. HOLD said God: Moses you spent all this time nurturing these corns, watering them letting grow so beautifully, why have you taken to killing them now? Moses answers: They are all fully rippend my lord, if I let them be they will ruin. I need to cut them now and take them to a safe place to store them so that I may use them as I need to. God said: There is your answer to life. I plant seeds in many forms and harvest them in a variety of ways, when ripened an ready, before they rotten, so that I can use them when I need them.

I thought that was a good way to look at life but this explanation requires that you believe in God in some way, shape or form. We have a chance to do beautiful things in this world of ours, a chance to make ourselves useful, in whichever shape or form. Truly immortality might be as simple as showing a bit of humanity for when our time comes to leave this seemingly repetitive cycle we call life, it might be those small shards of humanity that god cherishs and keeps safe for later use. That was my What then. I am curious what you think.

1 comment:

Negs said...

I believe in having blind faith, and if indeed to say that you believe in god is to say that you must then ultimately have blind faith, then I would apply this to every other aspect of my life. I think debating about the future is right, do I worry about it? of course I do, do I think its all about knowledge and immortality, no I don't. I think based on the experiences I've had in my life, many of which most people never have to nor need to ever experience, the only thing that matters to me in this world is love. If i did not have love, feel love, give love in everything that I believed in, I would probably be dead today. Does my future career bother me? No. Do I live to work? No. Do I work to live? No. I work because I have chosen a field that is not work to me, I live because I love the world and the people in it, I believe in god because I have fought through dark depths of this life, I chose to have children because I want to expand my family tree with a man I respect and love, all of these are reasons as to why I do what I do. God did not create corporations, money, corruption, wealth or poverty, humanity did. God did not want us to slave away and forget the importance of who we are and why we are here. Do I think that someone with a higher education or more money deserves more respect? No, and neither does god. Do I think a person who is a humanitarian who respects and loves and gives without reason, deserves the goods in life? Yes absolutely. I think there is too much pressure these days to be this perfect, high class individual, and less emphasis on the importance of this world. Like you mentioned, we slave, cry over our losses, beat ourselves up over our lack of achievements, count every penny, and all just to leave an die? It doesn't make sense, because its not the way things were meant to be. Anyway I'm blabbing now. My point is, I believe in God, I believe that I am here on this earth for a purpose, to help others, to enjoy this world and all its benefits, to respects all around me, to raise beautiful children with love in there hearts and wisdom in there heads, and thats it, and because I chose this way of life, if I died tomorrow, though I would be sad, I would have no regrets.